As a community of Christian spiritual directors with varied church affiliations, we share a common faith in a holy and loving God who invites and welcomes all with saving grace. The following outlines the beliefs out of which we seek to live and practice.
- in God the Father and Creator, God the Son and Redeemer and God the Holy Spirit and Sustainer of our lives and souls; we believe that these three are one God.
- that God took on human flesh in Jesus, who was born of a virgin, lived as witness to the good news of God's love, died a sacrificial death on the cross for humanity and on the third day arose and ascended to heaven where he reigns in glory.
– the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments and believe them to be the inspired Word of God, the basis of our faith and practice.
– in the illuminating, regenerating, indwelling and sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit, who guides us into all truth.
– that there is forgiveness of sins and reconciliation with God through our trust in Christ, the author and perfecter of our faith.
– in the unity and common priesthood of all true believers, who together form the one universal Church, the body, of which Christ is the Head.
- in the doctrines represented in the Apostles' Creed, one of the earliest statements of the Christian faith:
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic* church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
*that is, the true Christian church of all times and all places